Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Geo S Haines Trunk Chest

Question
I have a Geo S Haines trunk chest that has a date of May 70 on the hinge inside. Mine has etched metal on the outside covering most of the trunk. the inside is all still intact. on the bottom it has all 4 inset wheels still. How can I find out more about the history of this trunk? I would love to send you some pictures if possible so maybe you could tell me more about it. Missing the key, but not sure what key it would have been.

Answer
Matt,

Haines made many styles of trunks from the 1880s to about 1930. The trunk lid stay that was patented in May 1870 was used by most trunk companies for many years...into the 1920s because it was such a simple and inexpensive item. One way to help a little with telling the age of Haines trunks is the way Pittsburgh is spelled on the label, because from 1891 to 1911, the official spelling of the city's name was temporarily changed to Pittsburg. I would really need to see several pictures of your trunk to tell you more. You can email pictures to me at Marvin@ThisOldTrunk.com and I will see what I could tell you.  
Marvin  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller