Collectibles-General (Antiques)/info request on camera

Hi I have a Stamax Candid camera with box and I am unable to find info on it. I was hoping you could provide me with some. What year it was made ect. thanks

Hello Yolanda,

The Stamax Candid Camera is a classic example of a cheap 1930's amateur "minicam"; a very simple form of camera, usually made of molded plastic, usually with a 50mm lens in front of a simple one-speed spring shutter, usually exhibiting some sort of art deco inspired styling, and usually making 1 1/4 x 1 5/8 inch exposures on old #127 roll film. These were very American types of cameras, born of the Great Depression, designed to vaguely resemble far more expensive 35mm cameras, and often given away for free as premiums when other products were purchased. If you do online searches for some of the more common names, such as Falcon and Remington and Clix De Luxe, you'll find similar models made by companies like Metropolitan and Utility, and you'll also notice that the majority of these cameras originate in Chicago. What makes your camera so interesting is that it's made in Canada, and it's a molded metal shell rather than plastic. While the Stamax is certainly far less common than its American counterparts, it's still essentially a cheap amateur snapshot camera, and therefore isn't going to be terribly valuable. The camera by itself, assuming excellent overall condition, might sell for around $25-$35. However, you have the original box as well, and for these "minicam" cameras, that's often more interesting than the camera. Frankly, I've never seen a Stamax camera box, so I have no idea how decorative it is, but in most cases with American "minicam" models, the box can double or possibly even triple the overall value, depending on color and graphics. So if your box is clean and complete and intact, you might be looking at around $100 total value. I'd love to see a pic of the camera with its box…please send one to me if you get the chance, thanks!

Best wishes,

David F. Silver - President
International Photographic Historical Organization  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

David Silver

I'm an expert on all types of antique and classic CAMERAS, vintage PHOTOGRAPHS, and the HISTORY OF PHOTOGRAPHY. Everything from ancient box cameras to modern single-lens-reflex; from simple Kodaks to sophisticated Leica and Nikon; from glass plates and roll film to movie and 35mm; from daguerreotypes and tintypes to the black & white images by the 20th century masters. I can identify and appraise, explain techniques and processes, offer insights on restoration and preservation, and provide guidelines for buying and selling.

I've been a professional photographer and a student of the history of photography for over 30 years. During that time my collection of vintage cameras and photographic paraphernalia has grown beyond 2000 significant pieces. I've published nearly 70 articles in the field, including 16 in the popular "Buying Classic Cameras" series for PHOTO SHOPPER MAGAZINE from 1995 to 1997, I'm currently a contributing editor for CAMERA SHOPPER MAGAZINE and McKEOWN'S PRICE GUIDE TO ANTIQUE AND CLASSIC CAMERAS, and I've written numerous entries for WORLD BOOK ENCYCLOPEDIA. Portions of my collection have been displayed in museums and special exhibits in the past two decades, and many of the items were photographed as illustrations for books. In 1985 I founded the International Photographic Historical Organization (InPHO), which eventually evolved into its intended purpose as the best first resource for information on the history of photography. I'm also a founding member of several e-mail forums dedicated to specialized areas of photography, and I'm the moderator of the Internet Directory of Camera Collectors (IDCC), which remains the largest and most successful such group in the world. For more information about the International Photographic Historical Organization and its many services, please visit its web pages at:

BA and MA in anthropology