Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Lenior Chair & Table CAL-4319

Lenior Table
Lenior Table  

Lenior Chair
Lenior Chair  
I have 6 chairs (2) with arms and the table has one leaf.  I was wondering if you could tell me a little about the set, date, type of wood and approximate cost.

Thank you so very much

Dana - Your set is a Colonial Revival reproduction of Federal era furniture of the early 1800s. The chair is a Hepplewhite style shield back chair. George Hepplewhite was an English designer whose work was popular in the United States in the late 1700s and early 1800s Federal period. He is best known for his design of the oval drawer pulls of the period that bear his name.

The table is commonly and mistakenly called a Duncan Phyfe style table. Like most tables of this period the legs are pointed the wrong way. The odd leg should point out giving the diner on the end more leg room. The pedestals were turned this way in the 1930s and 1940s when living quarters were much smaller due to the economy. The inward leg created more walking space around the table.

The wood on the table top and the chair splats (back rests) is mahogany veneer. The rest of the set, pedestals, table legs and chair frames, is made of a secondary wood called red gum that has been stained to look like mahogany.

Your set was made in the late 1940s. The table would sell at auction in the $150 range. The chairs would sell for around $25 each.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida