Collectibles-General (Antiques)/mahogany drop leaf table (allexperts)

table for
table for allexperts.c  
This table was a gift to my mother, who passed 7 yrs ago. She did not know much about it, so I would like advise about its age and how to care for it.

It is a drop leaf style with a center drawer. Inside the drawer is a label number 184 from Mahogany Association, Inc., there is no manufacturer indicated on it. I remember her telling me that the center was leather, the part outlined by the gold colored design.

Do you see a lot of this style tables? Any information you have on this table is greatly appreciated.

The mahogany association was established to counteract the unethical practice of manufacturers saying things were mahogany when in fact they were other woods stained to a mahogany color.  the association issued decals of authenticity to companies that belonged to the association.  the number on the sticker indicates the company name but unfortunately no records have been recovered with that list.  the only way to determine the company is to find another piece with the same number that still has the label of the manufacturing company.  A colleague of mine believes it might be the Imperial Furniture Company of Grand Rapids.

to care for the leather and wood you can use a silicone free paste furniture wax.
toluene free Briwax in the antique mahogany color would do fine as would johnsons floor paste wax.

very nice you have kept this family heirloom.

presently the market value is about 300$/350  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971