Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Mersman lamp table

Question
table full view
table full view  

table bottom
table bottom  
Hi!  I have 2 Mersman lamp tables that were in my Mother-in-law's house.  I Have attached  2 photos.  I have read your comments re other person's Mersman tables so I am assuming these are not of particular value.  Additionally, they have been painted, which I assume decreases the value?  I will probably try to sell them at a local shop.  What do you think would be a fair price?  But, because of sentimentality, I am considering stripping and refinishing one of them to keep in our home.  In your opinion, is this a viable option?

Thank you for any information you can give me!

Answer
Jennifer - The pictured table is one of the ubiquitous lyre base "surfboard" tables made in the late 1940s. Mersman started using the lyre base in the late 1930s but the number on your table, 6651, indicates a post war date of manufacture.

Here is a pair of tables, number 6651 in original finish, that sold at auction in 2011 for $140 for the pair.
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/9216077
The paint on your tables in this case does lower the value to probably less than $50 each.

Refinishing one of these tables is of course a viable option if you have the time. They are reasonably well made and should "shine up" nicely.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor