Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Military Foot Locker

Question
military foot locker front
military foot locker f  

back of military foot locker
back of military foot  
I found this awesome military foot locker!  After washing it up a bit, some stenciled writing was revealed, some of which I can make out.  It looks like someone attempted to paint over some of the stenciling on the front side of the trunk.  I would like to try to remove the top paint layer to expose the original stenciled address, ?? 58th Str, Brooklyn, New York, without damaging the original stenciling.  Any advice on how to remove the top layer of paint?

Also, thanks to an answer provided for another posted question, I was able to get most of the information I was needing for this foot locker.

Answer
Paulette,

yes, that is a nice military foot locker and they made them like that from around the WWI to WWII period. This is covered with the vulcanized fiber which is very durable and it's hard to damage it. If it were mine I would try using some fine steel wool and a strong cleaner with ammonia in it to see if that helps remove the white paint. Depending on what type of paint was used, that could work or if not you can progress to a stronger cleaner. While I would not recommend paint stripper, you might be able to use some paint thinner or mineral spirits to remove it without hurting the stenciled paint if you don't rub it too hard.  It can be tricky when dealing with old paint, so you may have to experiment some to see what will work.   You can try a small spot and see how it goes.  

Good luck and I hope it cleans up well.

Marvin  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller