Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Please provide info on the age, maker and care for an antique bedroom suite

The attached photos are of a dresser and washstand.I believe the dresser and washstand match. The bed is very similar but has some design elements not included in the other two pieces. Under the marble tops, both dresser and washstand are marked Ky. I've found no markings on the bed. Additional photos of markings, hardware and bed will be sent to the email you listed.

Can you tell me the age, maker and value of these? The wood has areas where the finish is cracking. This occurs more on what appears to be laminated areas. I would like to know how to address this and make the pieces look as good as possible without hurting them. Also, the washstand has a dicolored streak from a spill. What can be done for that to safely make it blend in?

please send a picture of the outside of the side of one drawer where the side meets the front of that drawer.  another picture of the damaged ares of which you spoke.  This will help to date these victorian pieces made in the eastlake style around 1875-85.

There would be no way with out seeing a label to determine the manufacturer of these items.  There were about 5000 manufacturers in operation.  The letters we would normally think mean Kentucky and it may be but there were many manufacturers there as well.

as to the finish; crazing is normal, what you need to do is use toluene free Briwax in a walnut color and wax all th presentation surfaces.  this will clean as well.  USE NO OILS.  Wood does not need 'feeding'.  Oils are non drying and merely collect airborne contaminants from the air.

waiting pictures then will add more  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971