Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Pottery Information Needed

Question
Pottery
Pottery  

Pottery
Pottery  
Dear Mr. Wolbach - I recently inherited some fine antiques from a dear friend of mine.  One item is a piece of pottery with the following markings on it (see attached picture):

J. Bourne and Son
Pantentees
Denry Pottery
New Derby
R&J Arnold
London

If this is not an American piece you are familiar with, can you please give me the name of someone else to contact?

Thanks -

Karen

Answer
Karen,

Although my expertise is with american art pottery, this looks like it could be an old english ink bottle.  Generally they were stoneware pieces and marked on the outside in this manner.  Now it could also be a liquor bottle as shapes were similar in the 1800's, but you could research the name on the internet and probably find out whether it was a liquor distributor or an ink manufacturer.  It is a very nice piece and looks to be in very good condition.  If it is a liquor bottle, it most likely has more value than an ink bottle.  I would be unable to estimate value though as this is not my area and I would not want to mislead you on the low or high side.  I would bring it to a local auction house, or go on line to ask a person who is more in tune with stoneware bottles.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Dennis

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Dennis Wolbach