Collectibles-General (Antiques)/winship steamer trunk with eagle lock

Question
we have the key for this trunk and the numbers on the key match the lock so we are confident its the right one. however we believe there is a trick to even getting the key in the lock there is a tab of some sort just above the key hole. looks as though you have to pull it out and turn it for this lock to drop the lever that is in the way of the key entering all the way into the hole. have you ever heard of such

Answer
Carol,

Winship and Eagle Lock Company were both in business for about 100 years and they made and used a large variety of trunk locks, including some which had various keyhole covers.  Some of them did have a special way of being opened and sometimes there was a "trick" to it and you have to experiment a little to find out how to open it. If I saw pictures of the particular lock I might be able to give you some hints on that.  There really were a large variety of the trunk locks made by Eagle and several other lock makers.  

Marvin  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller