Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique Sideboard

This piece measures 21" deep, 36" height and 64" wide

It's been in our family for about 50 years... but unfortunately I know little about it.

Hopefully the pictures will help – and if not I can try to answer any questions you might have (by querying family members).

Any help in identifying style, period, value would be greatly appreciated!

Jonathan Finer

ANSWER: use the followup function and post a picture of the rear and of the outside of the side of one drawer where the side meets the front of that drawer.  need to see joints.

Corner Detail
Corner Detail  
Corner Detail
Corner Detail  
QUESTION: Please see requested images of details of the Sideboard – specifically the corner of the front drawer (where the sides meet the front panel).

ANSWER: I need to see more pictures of the unseen areas.

what i am trying to determine is whether this is 1849, 1890 or 1920s.  the same styles reappear in furniture and you have to look at how things were put together, what tool marks might be present and the materials used.

the style is Hepplewhite style or Federal style.

can i get a picture of the rear, and underneath

Sideboard Back
Sideboard Back  

Sideboard Bottome
Sideboard Bottome  
QUESTION: Robert - Thanks so much for your investigation. As requested, please find additional photos of the rear and underneath of the piece.

this is an older piece built in the 1800s that has had some work done on it.  I wish i were there to do a hands on inspection.  pictures will give a basic idea but I am never comfortable on something that has potential to be an early - pre 1860 - piece to say too much from photos.  it is a detective work to look feel and touch parts to determine accurately what we are seeing.

I highly recommend you hold on to this.

where are you located?

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971