Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique trunk

Question
My trunk
My trunk  
I bought this trunk at a yard sale a few weeks ago, the man bought it at a yard sale himself so he had no idea the origin. It's a Barnard bros trunk, it has a sticker inside that says Barnard brothers Worcester MA but not year. It had the removable box/shelf is in good condition and it still has the lock and key. I'm just wondering how old it is and  maybe it's worth. It also has initials on the side MSM. Thanks!

Answer
1900 Trunk Catalog
1900 Trunk Catalog  

Barnard Bros Ad
Barnard Bros Ad  
Karla,

The Barnard Bros. Trunk Company was established in 1876 and was in business until about 1930 making many styles of trunks. I've seen and had several of their trunks over the years. The style trunk that you have was made between the late 1880's to the 1910's with the same type of hardware and locks. They were made in several sizes and they all had a lift out tray inside.  They did not put dates on their labels, so it's nearly impossible to pin down the age of the trunk, but it is approximately 100 to 110 years old.  Many of these trunks were covered with heavy duck canvas and some were covered completely with sheet metal.  It was very common for people to have their initials painted on the side of their trunk. The value of these is based on their condition and completeness. I can't see too many details from one picture, but generally in unrestored condition these trunks have a value in the range of about $150 to $300 in most areas. I'm attaching a page from a 1900 trunk maker catalog which shows similar trunks and you can see some of the details they provided about the.  I hope that all helps.
Marvin  ThisOldTrunk.com

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller