Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Cavalier vanity

Cavalier vanity
Cavalier vanity  
I have a Cavalier vanity that I would like to find out more info on. I have searched online for one like it, but have not found any.

Joel - The term Cavalier was used by the Tennessee Furniture C0 beginning in 1923 as a trade name but it was used only for cedar chests and ice boxes. I am not aware of another manufacturer who used the name.

The vanity you have was made in the early to mid 1920s. The photo is not clear enough for me identify the wood.

If you think the mirror above the vanity may have originally been part of the vanity set you should be able to find a date on it. All  20th century American plate mirror included in furniture is dated by law. The date is in dark gray on the gray side of the mirror glass itself. You will have to remove any paper or wood backing to see the back of the glass and the date. This is further explained and illustrated in my book “HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE” found on my website.  In some cases there is no date. This may be because the original mirror has been replaced, the mirror has been resilvered or the mirror was not made in the United States.

The vanity has some condition issues and would sell at auction in the $100 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida