Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Desk

Question
Desk
Desk  

Desk
Desk  
I recently stumbled on this oak stick and ball drop front desk. I want to find out more info on it before I refinish or anything. I have checked all the drawers and everyone I have found where there was a paper tag but it is gone. Thanks

Answer
Brian - Not sure I wold call that "stick and ball." That style element is more often associated with Eastlake style furniture of the late 19th century. This is atypical stick and ball chair.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quartersawn-Oak-Stick-and-Ball-Rocker-Rocking-Chair-brow

Your tall shaving stand is Art Nouveau style from the early 20th century. Art Nouveau was the "new art" of the period and while very popular in Europe, especially France, it never got much of as toehold in the United States. The main feature of Art Nouveau was the incorporation of the depiction of vines and floral arrangements into the structure. While never very instrumental in furniture design in the U.S. it had a great influence on the glass and jewelry designs of Louis Comfort Tiffany.

Here is a wide look at more Art Nouveau furniture pieces.
https://www.google.com/search?q=art+nouveau+furniture&client=firefox-a&hs=W3J&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ezNaU_mwMNWysQSft4CQAw&ved=0CCcQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=921

Very few Art Nouveau Art pieces were made of oak and while the photo is not clear enough to be sure it doesn't look like yours is either. It appears to be a close grain hardwood with a mahogany finish.

My guess is that your cabinet was made in Europe or England around 1910. I could not find a comparable to give you a value but I expect it would sell at auction in the $200-$300 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor