Collectibles-General (Antiques)/FBM Cedar Chest

FBM chest
FBM chest  

FBM interior
FBM interior  
Hi, I hope you can help.  I recently inherited a 1951 FBM cedar chest that has been in our family since the 70s.  I am wondering what a reasonable resale value would be as I am settling an estate and needing to sell it.  The back right foot was broken off and is replaced with 3 pieces of stacked wood.  The interior is pretty good, still has the insert.  There is a horizontal hairline crack all along one of the bottom slats of wood but still seems very secure.  Thank you.

It's a pretty nice looking cedar chest and does have some value, however there are quite a few cedar chests from different makers regularly on the market, so the actual selling prices are not typically more than the range of $300 to $500. Sometimes the sale price can be higher at upscale antique shops, but they could take much longer to sell. The damage you mentioned really should not affect the value very much.  I hope that helps and good luck with your sale.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.