Collectibles-General (Antiques)/gate leg table

drop leaf table
drop leaf table  
drop leaf table
drop leaf table  
QUESTION: I have a antique gate leg table that is very long! Seat 12 + , we pick it up this winter and am look for info on it!  It has 2 half round ends that you can add on to make the table even larger, the main piece has drop down leaf on both sides,  the legs are straight! We got it from a older man that had it for years and said it was made by a famous table maker but I cant find any marking on it!  Im thinking it is from the 1920 or 1940.  Also lookin to see if we can find out how much it worth! Ill send you pictures!  Hope you get them! Thanks, Kathy

ANSWER: it is a copy of a federal period dining table done in the hepplewhite style.  these are desirable tables.

i need a picture of the underneath of all three sections
pic of the top showing the wood grain and showing how many boards are glued up to make the tops and drop sides
pic of the hinges for the drop sides
are there catches to secure the two demilune ends to the drop sides?  there should be some type of hardware under the drop sides and flat sides of the ends of the demilune sections.

pics as attachments to one email

round end and hard wear
round end and hard wea  

gate leg
gate leg  
QUESTION: Thank you for your time and knowledge on the table. I hope I've answered all your questions so you can help us figure out more information about the table and how much its worth! The middle piece and drop sides have 5 pieces of wood, one round table has four pieces of wood and the other has 5 pieces of wood. the hardware underneath the round pieces are missing.  Again thank you for all you help! Hope to hear from you again!  I tried to send more pic but it only let me send 2 but I can try again

It would be from the time period you suggest.  It is a very well done piece and being all intact is good as well.

these were done in two configurations.  one like yours and the othe with one drop side on the D shaped end pieces in addition to the drop sides on the central section.

usually these become separated in time, whether 1830 or 1930 pieces.

depending on the condition this could sell at 800 or 2400.  insurance replacement value higher.  We see these in good condition at 1500-2000. the surface makes the difference.  i cant tell the wood from the photos-too far but it is possible it is cherrywood.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971