Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Haskell bros.

Haskell bros.
Haskell bros.  
Haskell bros label
Haskell bros label  
QUESTION: I have inherited an old leather bag/satchel, made by Haskell bros. the label inside on a pocket is very worn but I am just able to make out the name.  I have tried to search, but am only able to find information on trunks, other than a picture of an ad. I would love to know its original use, age etc. my mother in law used it to carry her knitting. Thank you!  Lisa

That's an interesting old bag that you have. Over the year as I have collected antique trunks and some old catalogs from trunk companies I discovered that most trunk companies also made a variety of leather bags. In fact some companies were called a "trunk & bag" company. They made many types from the late 1800's to early 1900's, and some were made with real alligator skins and many were made with imitation alligator leather. They also used a variety of other materials including seal and walrus skin, several types of leather, carpet, and even rubber or rubber coated bags. I have seen many different names or styles of bags listed in some old  catalogs but I am not certain what this one would have usually been called. Some were listed as traveling bags, Gladstone bags, Boston Bags, etc. etc.   Haskell Brothers was a fairly large trunk and bag company in Chicago from about 1880 to about 1930 but I have not found any catalogs from the company.  Very little detailed information is available on most of these companies now or the products they made.  I would say this bag was probably made in the early 1900's and it is fairly difficult to determine a precise age. The old leather can be treated with leather preservative polish or mink oil polish which will help keep it from becoming too dry and brittle.  There are people who collect these old bags. I'm attaching a page from an old trunk company catalog and a copy of a Haskell Brothers label for you to see.  That is really about all I can tell you about your bag and I hope that helps some.  

QUESTION: Hey thanks for the info! Would it be possible for you to email me the pictures directly? They won't open for me through this letter! .  Thanks Lisa

Yes, sometimes the pictures don't show up for a while and I'm not sure why. But I would need your email address which does not come with your questions through All Experts.  So email me at and I can send you more pictures that way. Just let me know that it is you when you email.  Thanks

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.