Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Jenny Lin day bed - care of wood

Question
My Jenny Lin day bed is from my grandmothers porch.  ( I'm in my 60s)
She lived in Albuquerque for all her adult life. This piece for furniture sat on her screened in porch.  
I'm afraid to treat the wood for fear that I will decrease its value.  Some of the joints are loose.  There are places where the bed rubbed against the adobe wall on the porch. Those areas have no finish on it what so ever.  This piece is in my bedroom.  I believe the piece is made of pine.

Questions:  is it ok to glue the joints back together? What should I use for this?
Should I put strain on the wood on the bear spots? What should I use to help the wood, it is very dry.  How can I enhance the finish?  I have worked with old furniture before.  I have also refinished wood but not true antiques.

Answer
Glue the joints using a wood glue or if you want to stay period correct, hide glue. Make sure that the joints fit tight. If necessary, use something like an index card or veneer to tighten. I would stain the bare spots and follow up with a wipe on oil finish, several coats, that you can get at the home improvement centers.

Rob

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Anderson's Restorations-Rob Anderson