Collectibles-General (Antiques)/John Wannamaker Dresser!

John Wanamaker dresser
John Wanamaker dresser  

Stamp on the back!
Stamp on the back!  
Hi Fred,
wanted to ask you about a dresser that I found on the trash when I lived in Philadelphia. I really liked the look of it and cleaned it up as best I could and have used it ever since. It has a 'John Wanamaker' stamp on the back of the dresser. I'm now trying to spring clean my house and need to rid of some pieces of furniture and clutter and was wondering if this piece was worth anything or can I just give it up to goodwill. Thanks for your time and look forward to hearing from you!

Best regards

Marie - That is a nice chest. The style is Queen Anne with Chippendale batwing drawer pulls. The wood is tiger maple veneer and maple solids.

Wannamaker was a department store retailer so there is no way to know who actually made the piece but it appears to be a solid piece and should last many more years. It is about a a $200 piece at auction.

Cleaning the brass or replacing it would help a lot. If you want some information on cleaning brass let me know at

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida