Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Marble Top Dresser

Marble Top Dresser
Marble Top Dresser  

Marble Top Dresser
Marble Top Dresser  
Fred, I am refinishing this dresser for a friend and would appreciate some feedback on its style (Eastlake?) and age. I see some signs of hand sawing as opposed to machine cuts which are always encouraging to me.

Also any input on type of wood and market value would help. How can I tell if the marble top is orginal or real marble?

Thank you.

P.S. My wife got me a copy of your Furniture Detective book for Christmas. I have devoured it and enjoyed it.

Gary - The style is in fact Eastlake (the shallow spoon carving and parallel lines are the key) but it is a very late version of the style. The drawer joinery is machine made so date of manufacture is close to 1900. It was factory made, probably in Grand Rapids. The photo is not clear enough for me to identify the wood but Eastalke pieces are traditionally made of walnut. You can send clearer photos to me as .jpg files at I will try to identify the wood. Please send the photos directly to me as .jpg files.

The marble could be original but more than half of all Eastlake dressers had chocolate marble, not white. Genuine marble will be extremely heavy. It is heavier than almost anything else used in furniture.

Similar dressers sell at auction in the $100 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida