Collectibles-General (Antiques)/protecting / preventing fading sun damage

I have two collecible wicker mid century chairs that I would like to proctect / preserve from sun damage, and getting brittle.  They are not painted, and have two colors of wicker weaving withing the pattern of the chairs.  Other than putting them in a dark place or covering them,  how can I protect them from sun damage without changing them? Is there a protective clear coating I can use on them?

Hi Laurie,

Sorry for not answering sooner, but I missed this question until now.

Without seeing a picture of the chairs in question, I'm stabbing in the dark here in giving you advice other than the most basic.

I don't know whether or not the materials used in weaving them was sheet cane webbing, strand cane, rattan reed, paper fibre or splints of some sort. Some can be treated and some cannot.

You can read the articles in the Tutorials tab in the navigation area at the top of every page. Here you will find articles concerning caring for wicker furniture and caring for cane furniture on the Articles page. And you can get more information from reading the Seatweaving FAQ page and the Wicker FAQ page, too.

Thanks for being concerned about caring for your mid-century chairs and I hope this articles will help you on your path.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

The Wicker WomanŽ-Cathryn Peters

I will answer any questions having to do with antique wicker furniture, wicker furniture repair and restoration, chair caning and all other types of chair seat weaving techniques and patterns. I DO NOT GIVE APPRAISALS or free WHAT IT'S WORTH valuations, nor do I buy/sell wicker furniture at this time.

Since 1975 I've been repairing and restoring all types of wicker furniture from the 1880s-1940s, with a special interest in the Victorian era. I'm proficient in the repair and restoration of all types of chair seat weaving; hand-twisted cattail and bulrush, paper fiber rush, chair caning of all types, Shaker tape, Danish cord and seagrass. I also teach chair seat weaving at folk schools, basketry conventions and private individuals or groups. I also offer consultations, and will demonstrate and lecture on the craft topics of chair seating, wicker repair and basketry. I am also web master of, online since 1999 and founder and moderator of the Seatweaving & Chair Caning Forum since 2004.

Founding member and first President of The SeatWeavers' Guild, Inc. (TSWG 2007-2011), Seatweaving & Chair Caning Forum founder and moderator (2004-present), charter member of the National Basketry Organization, numerous regional and state basket guilds, and member of the Basketmakers' and Chair Seaters' Association (BA) located in the United Kingdom.

Woman's Day Budget Decorating Ideas 2006, Country Living August 2004, Finishing & Restoration Magazine, October 2002, Barbara Brabec's Handmade For Profit, Homemade Money-Starting Smart! and Homemade Money-Bringing in the Bucks!, Collector's Journal, Basketry Round-Up #2 by Shereen LaPlantz, Splint Woven Basketry by Robin Taylor Daugherty, 101 Best Home-Based Businesses for Women by Priscilla Y. Huff, Ralph & Terry Kovel's Yellow Pages of Restoration Experts, Small Town Minnesota from A-Z by Tony Andersen and monthly Wicker Furniture columnist for Minnesota's The Old Times newspaper in 1993 & 1994.

High school graduate, self-taught, and "school of hard knocks" for all the rest!

I've been involved in several unique wicker restoration projects such as weaving two wicker chairs for the Johnson Wax Replica Sikorsky S-38 Amphibian Airplane in 1998, then two more in 2000 for Buzz Kaplan, owner of Born Again Restorations, the company that created the replica Sikorsky, and did the restoration of all the wicker furniture in the Itasca State Park, Bemidji, MN during their Centennial celebration in 1995. I've also served as Chair Seatweaving Mentor to an apprentice through the Minnesota State Arts Board Folk Art Grant program in 2000, been the recipient of a McKnight/Arrowhead Regional Arts Council (ARAC) Career Opportunity Grant in 2004, and the recipient of a McKnight/ARAC Emerging Artist Fellowship in 2005.