Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Repair of Spool Cabinet

We purchased a 2-drawer oak spool cotton cabinet, John Clarks, at an auction recently.  The top lifts and has a groove for a pencil, but no ink well. There is an indentation about 7" X 11" which has no material in it.  What was originally in there? Would it be appropriate to use leather?

Hi Linda
Nice to hear from you.
Any such I have seen had felt.
No harm in using leather but it may be harder to work with where felt is easy.
You could get a 12x12 inch piece at the craft store. Use dark green.
Hope this helps.
Get back anytime

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Eileen Cronk

I can answer most questions about the repairing and refinishing of all your old furniture items (the things we call antiques). I can also give you advice on what wood items to choose and what wood items to avoid at auctions, flea markets etc. I DO NOT give appraisals on antiques as this is not my field of expertise.

I have been repairing, refinishing and of course buying old furniture for the past 30 years. On any given weekend I can be found at auction sales or flea markets searching out a good buy. I have taken several courses in this area over the years, but I find "Hands On" learning to be the best teacher. I can help you avoid the pitfalls and problems of this wonderful rewarding craft.