Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Restoring Antique Pedestal Drop Leaf Side Table

Pedestal Side Table
Pedestal Side Table  

Underside of Pedestal #2488
Underside of Pedestal  
I found this table in my Dad's garage. I believe it is a Duncan Phyfe or copy  of a Pedestal Drop Leaf Side Table. Can you identify it from the pictures and it appears that it might have had a drawer or two drawers in it. Any help with how to restore it would be greatly appreciated. I believe it is mahogany but not sure. I can send more images if needed. Thanks for any help!

1940s table.  i do not think there were drawers as i see no marks where a drawer would have been sliding over the years.

should be mahogany veneer on the tops and sides, base probably sweet gum stained mahogany.

i can help with the restoration but this forum does not work well for all the instructions so here is the basics.  rest can be done by private email.

first take it apart and mark pieces so it can be put back together the same way.
next do any repairs.
next use paint remover to clean all surfaces but do not remove the marks, chalk or otherwise.
lightly sand, lightly with 180 paper.  remember, it was sanded when made.
stain with oil stain,wipe dry, coat with lacquer or shellac.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971