Collectibles-General (Antiques)/theater seat

theater seat
theater seat  

theater seat
theater seat  
Hello there Eileen. First off thank you for taking your time to possibly help me with my question. A friend of mine has what appears to be an older style theater seat. I agreed to help him try to restore it. The problem we are facing is we're having a hard time finding any pictures to help guide us. I was wondering if you could provide us wih any type of information or pictures with said matter. We were thinking of maybe just using some real nice wood to fill in the missing pieces. Any suggestions would be helpful. Again thank you for your time. Hopefully you get my picture.

Hello William
Nice to hear from you.
What a lovely old piece.
I did a Google image search for you looking for similar chairs.
There are tons of pictures but none as nice or ornate as your friends.
Look here first

and here

If you look through the pictures, you will see many of the very oldest do indeed just have wood seats as you were thinking of doing.
I also wanted to see if any seats were just flat wood and many of the oldest again are.
Look closely at the pictures. There are a lot of pages in each link.
You will see some are flat seats and backs with a foam pad and covered with material.
This is simple upholestry and very easy to do.
You could likely use 1/2 inch ply on the seat and back if you cover with material.
Looks like the screw holes are there and not broken.
I imagine you are painting the metal and I think the chair would look great either way (wood or padded). Great chair.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Eileen Cronk

I can answer most questions about the repairing and refinishing of all your old furniture items (the things we call antiques). I can also give you advice on what wood items to choose and what wood items to avoid at auctions, flea markets etc. I DO NOT give appraisals on antiques as this is not my field of expertise.

I have been repairing, refinishing and of course buying old furniture for the past 30 years. On any given weekend I can be found at auction sales or flea markets searching out a good buy. I have taken several courses in this area over the years, but I find "Hands On" learning to be the best teacher. I can help you avoid the pitfalls and problems of this wonderful rewarding craft.