Collectibles-General (Antiques)/tiger stripe oak coffee table

I purchased new, a contemporary-style tiger-striped solid light oak coffee table, made by old craftsman in Oregon, who was retiring and selling off his stock.  It has 2 matching end tables. It acquired a nasty stain from a grape juice spill, which undiscovered, sat over night.  I have bleached out the stain, and weeks later started sanding.  It seems to me that the grains are fading with the sanding.  Will they resurface when(tung oil?) is rubbed on, or could the stripes have been painted on -- (I am beginning to wonder.) The old man didn't seem like the sort of person to stoop to that, but one can never be sure, I suppose. What's the best way to handle this, and not ruin my table altogether?  Thank you for any suggestions you may have.  Sorry, I have no image to send.

Hi again Rosie
I was sorry to hear you were not in agreement with my answer to your question.
I wish you had read your question, and my answer before going off the deep end with your very negative ratings and comments.
You asked "if the stripes could have been painted on?"
I answered "it could well be your table has what is called false graining"
You also mentioned "the old man did not seem the sort to resort to that but one can never be sure".
My comment to that was "don't discredit the old craftsman who made it" and "False graining is an art"
And you are quick to point out in your rating that the grain on top and the underside match, but mentioned no such thing in your original question. Had I known this, my answer would be different but I would change nothing in my answer to your original question.
And its not in the least "questionable" that I could have helped ID this wood with a photo, which I asked for.
And I am glad you will not ask for further assistance.
I have given freely of my time to Allexperts for many years to try to help folks and its very upsetting to get these underserved comments from you.
Kindest Regards

Hi Rosie
Nice to hear from you.
I will need a picture if you want an ID on this wood.
It could very well be that your table has what is called "false graining".
If thats the case you have ruined the top forever with sandpaper.
And don't discredit the old craftsman who made it. False graining that fools the eye is an art and was never intended to deceive the unwary.
Get back

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Eileen Cronk

I can answer most questions about the repairing and refinishing of all your old furniture items (the things we call antiques). I can also give you advice on what wood items to choose and what wood items to avoid at auctions, flea markets etc. I DO NOT give appraisals on antiques as this is not my field of expertise.

I have been repairing, refinishing and of course buying old furniture for the past 30 years. On any given weekend I can be found at auction sales or flea markets searching out a good buy. I have taken several courses in this area over the years, but I find "Hands On" learning to be the best teacher. I can help you avoid the pitfalls and problems of this wonderful rewarding craft.