Collectibles-General (Antiques)/antique trunk

Question
Hi, I recently bought an old trunk at an auction. It needs a good cleaning and it needs new straps and 2 leather handles. I can't figure out how to get the old pieces of the straps and handles out without ruining the brass around them. The straps have 2 fasteners that are fastened under the brass and the handles have 3. The trunk is covered in (it looks like) painted burlap? The brass also has the old patina that I like so I don't want to ruin the pieces.Any ideas? Also can I use tung oil on the outside of the trunk to brighten it up?

Answer
Hi Linda
Nice to hear from you.
Please see this site.

http://www.brettunsvillage.com/trunks/

It contains the answers to every question we have about trunks.
And its explained much better than I could.
Enjoy the site and your trunk. I love these old things.
Regards
Eileen  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Eileen Cronk