Collectibles-General (Antiques)/antique trunk

Hi, I recently bought an old trunk at an auction. It needs a good cleaning and it needs new straps and 2 leather handles. I can't figure out how to get the old pieces of the straps and handles out without ruining the brass around them. The straps have 2 fasteners that are fastened under the brass and the handles have 3. The trunk is covered in (it looks like) painted burlap? The brass also has the old patina that I like so I don't want to ruin the pieces.Any ideas? Also can I use tung oil on the outside of the trunk to brighten it up?

Hi Linda
Nice to hear from you.
Please see this site.

It contains the answers to every question we have about trunks.
And its explained much better than I could.
Enjoy the site and your trunk. I love these old things.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Eileen Cronk

I can answer most questions about the repairing and refinishing of all your old furniture items (the things we call antiques). I can also give you advice on what wood items to choose and what wood items to avoid at auctions, flea markets etc. I DO NOT give appraisals on antiques as this is not my field of expertise.

I have been repairing, refinishing and of course buying old furniture for the past 30 years. On any given weekend I can be found at auction sales or flea markets searching out a good buy. I have taken several courses in this area over the years, but I find "Hands On" learning to be the best teacher. I can help you avoid the pitfalls and problems of this wonderful rewarding craft.