Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Bentwood chairs

bentwood chair
bentwood chair  

detail of pressed back
detail of pressed back  
I purchased 6 of the chair shown and they were sold at auction as being American, pressed back, bentwood kitchen chairs. Do they look American to you and if so do you have any idea of their date? Many thanks

Colin - The straight slender spindles and the simple press design are actually a little conservative for Ame4ican chairs. Check out the ones on this site:  

My guess is they are English, circa 1915, rather than American.

Thanks for writing.
Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida