Collectibles-General (Antiques)/F.A. Whitney wicker baby carriage

Whitney baby carriage
Whitney baby carriage  
I have a wicker baby carriage made by the F.A. Whitney Carriage Company that needs restoration. I can't find anyone who does this type of restoration and I'm so afraid I'll ruin it doing it myself. I've done some reupholstering, so the interior isn't my biggest fear.  I think it needs repainted, but I don't know what type of paint to use on the wicker/wooden parts, the metal frame or the wooden wheels. One of the wooden spoke wheels needs reglued and the rubber on the wheels is in fairly good condition, but might need replaced if I can find a comparable material.  I would welcome any suggestions for cleaning and/or restoration you can give me.

Hi Janee,

What an unusual wicker baby buggy that is. I've never seen the combination of the wicker hood and rim on the body, but then no wicker on the outside body. Maybe I'm not seeing the photo correctly, but was there ever wicker around the outside of the body? Or has it always had the cloth body?

Please visit my website where you'll find a great deal of information about restoring your wicker buggy by making some minor repairs yourself. Look in the Tutorials tab in the navigation bar at the top.

But I would advise taking it to a wicker specialist and even a woodworker to get the wheel worked on and any other major repairs made.

And take a look at this previous question here and my answer to the wheel situation.

This blog post of mine also might help you on your search if you need to get another wheel made or replaced.

Then too, you might contact some of the Amish that make wagon wheels, as they might be able to help you out replacing the rubber on your wire wheels, too.  It's just a thought, I'm not sure if they take on these types of jobs, but perhaps they do.

Hope this information is helpful and be sure to rate my answer. Thanks!  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

The Wicker WomanŽ-Cathryn Peters

I will answer any questions having to do with antique wicker furniture, wicker furniture repair and restoration, chair caning and all other types of chair seat weaving techniques and patterns. I DO NOT GIVE APPRAISALS or free WHAT IT'S WORTH valuations, nor do I buy/sell wicker furniture at this time.

Since 1975 I've been repairing and restoring all types of wicker furniture from the 1880s-1940s, with a special interest in the Victorian era. I'm proficient in the repair and restoration of all types of chair seat weaving; hand-twisted cattail and bulrush, paper fiber rush, chair caning of all types, Shaker tape, Danish cord and seagrass. I also teach chair seat weaving at folk schools, basketry conventions and private individuals or groups. I also offer consultations, and will demonstrate and lecture on the craft topics of chair seating, wicker repair and basketry. I am also web master of, online since 1999 and founder and moderator of the Seatweaving & Chair Caning Forum since 2004.

Founding member and first President of The SeatWeavers' Guild, Inc. (TSWG 2007-2011), Seatweaving & Chair Caning Forum founder and moderator (2004-present), charter member of the National Basketry Organization, numerous regional and state basket guilds, and member of the Basketmakers' and Chair Seaters' Association (BA) located in the United Kingdom.

Woman's Day Budget Decorating Ideas 2006, Country Living August 2004, Finishing & Restoration Magazine, October 2002, Barbara Brabec's Handmade For Profit, Homemade Money-Starting Smart! and Homemade Money-Bringing in the Bucks!, Collector's Journal, Basketry Round-Up #2 by Shereen LaPlantz, Splint Woven Basketry by Robin Taylor Daugherty, 101 Best Home-Based Businesses for Women by Priscilla Y. Huff, Ralph & Terry Kovel's Yellow Pages of Restoration Experts, Small Town Minnesota from A-Z by Tony Andersen and monthly Wicker Furniture columnist for Minnesota's The Old Times newspaper in 1993 & 1994.

High school graduate, self-taught, and "school of hard knocks" for all the rest!

I've been involved in several unique wicker restoration projects such as weaving two wicker chairs for the Johnson Wax Replica Sikorsky S-38 Amphibian Airplane in 1998, then two more in 2000 for Buzz Kaplan, owner of Born Again Restorations, the company that created the replica Sikorsky, and did the restoration of all the wicker furniture in the Itasca State Park, Bemidji, MN during their Centennial celebration in 1995. I've also served as Chair Seatweaving Mentor to an apprentice through the Minnesota State Arts Board Folk Art Grant program in 2000, been the recipient of a McKnight/Arrowhead Regional Arts Council (ARAC) Career Opportunity Grant in 2004, and the recipient of a McKnight/ARAC Emerging Artist Fellowship in 2005.