Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Cedar Chest

Janice wrote at 2016-03-17 03:45:56
I bought this Cedar Chest. On the back it says Murphy #23 in black letters and numbers. It also has wood handles. Can anyone tell me anything about it. Murphy has gone out of business. I would like some History on the Cedar Chest. By the way it has wooden caster on underside. Size is 54" long, 21" wide, and 19" deep.

Hi My name is Lawson Murphy. My family manufactured cedar chests from 1946-2004. We shut down manufacturing due to Chinese competition. The cedar chest that you have last sold wholesale around $180.  We manufactured over a million pieces during the lifetime of Murphy Manufacturing. The style you have was the largest cedar chest we made. It could have been bought at Farmers Furniture in the South Georgia area.

Darline wrote at 2016-05-31 19:14:16
I looked under murphy cedar chest and there was one for 300. On ebay ..myself I have one marked #20 murphy.. I was also wondering about it but I will keep it.. what's in it is worth my 75 yrs. Of

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.