Collectibles-General (Antiques)/I have no idea if this is a sewing tool but wanted to see if it was

Question
Picture of unknown item
Picture of unknown ite  

Another picture of unknown item
Another picture of unk  
I do not know what this item is- it was found in a drawer of a dresser that my Grandfather bought- he never knew what it was but kept it. My Mom got it after he died, and has been trying to figure out what it is.. looking at it I always thought it was used for sewing, like it would attach to the table or counter and you would attach a spool or something like that to it- so I wanted to see if you have ever seen anything like this.. if not at least I know we can maybe rule out a sewing tool
Thank You
Heidi

Answer
Hello Heidi.  

Your item is a wooden sewing clamp.  They were also called "third hands" as it gave the sewist a way to clamp fabric to a solid surface and have their hands free.  Along these same lines were "sewing birds" that clamped to the surface.  The bird's beak held on to the fabric, making it easier to sew.  

Hope this helps.

Barbara  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Barbara K. Acchino

I have been collecting for almost 30 years.

ThimbleCollectors@ONElist.com; Thimble Collectors International (TCI); Thimble Guild; Thimbletter & Thimbletter II, Empire State Thimble Collectors; CyberThimble; Yahoo Thimble Club

"Sewing with Scotties" Scottie Sampler; various articles for the "Bulletin" - official newsletter of Thimble Collectors International (TCI)

TCI's President's Award