Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Old antique trunk found in my garage!

Antique trunk?
Antique trunk?  
I found an old trunk in my garage and after my grandmother recognized the name of the furniture company I checked It out and tried to do some research I believe it's from the hope line from the lane furniture company but I don't know much else about it or it's value if any. I was wondering if maybe you knew anything about this furniture and how I could find out when it was manufactured ??

Hi Kea,

This looks like a cedar lined storage chest, possibly from the 1950's to 1960's is my best estimate of the age. But I am not an expert on that type of chest. I have lots of information on travel trunks from the early 1800's to mid 1900's, but not much on these hope chests or storage chests. There is a distinction between a trunk and a chest, as a trunk was made for travel and that chest is made for use as a piece of furniture for storage in the home. If there is a maker's label on the chest, such as from Lane, you should be able to find some information about the model number and age with some searching online. It may take a while and you may have to search for all the information you can find about the history of the Lane company, but it is probably out there somewhere.  
Good luck.

Marvin Miller  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.