Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique 12 legged Mahogany dining table

Question
2 table sections pulled apart
2 table sections pulle  

2 main sections put together
2 main sections put to  
Hello Fred,
we just purchased a mahogany dining table for the purpose of restoration. Size is 48" by 60.25" ( comprised of the two main sections only) plus two leaves 48" by 21.5" , bringing the total length to 101.25". Height is 30". The table does not have the usual extension mechanism underneath, instead the sections have a sort of interlocking mechanism and are then secured along the outer edges by strong horseshoe shaped metal clips. Center legs swing out from underneath to support the 2 leaves.
We have a lot of questions about this unusual table and would very much appreciate your help.
1) is this table top solid mahogany or mahogany veneer? We assumed veneer, however the underside of the table top as well as the top  appears to be made of wood planks unequal in width, rather than veneer strips which we assume would be equally sized. Also normally one can see the veneer along the edges, but we can't see any on this table
2) is the banding satinwood or rosewood or ?
3) the small accent stripes appear to be inlaid. Would you agree? Our concern is that we don't want these accent lines to disappear while stripping.
4) in terms of style, are we correct in assuming that this would be considered a Sheraton style table?
5) what would be the age and possibly country of origin? We purchased it in Canada, but wonder if it perhaps was imported from the U.S.
6) once restored, what would be an estimated retail value?
I have more photos I could forward you.

Looking very much forward to hearing from you!
Thank you!

Answer
Doris - That is a magnificent looking table. The overall style is Federal from the early 1800s. Sheraton was certainly among the styles of the Federal period but the spade foot on a square tapered leg is more often considered typical of Hepplewhite styling than Sheraton.

The table is made of solid mahogany planks and the inlay is satinwood. You can tell the table is solid because you can actually see the joints where twp boards meet on the edges rather than being covered in veneer.

The boards themselves are one of the clues to the age of the table. A period Hepplewhite table would be made of many fewer boards. The leaves would probably be only one wide board each. The main sections would be two boards at most. I have a similar but older table, late 18th century, with single board leaves and double board main sections. Your table many smaller boards pieced together to make the surface. This is an indication of a later origin.

The screws in the blocks under the table are also a clue to a more recent vintage. Period blocks would be glued with hide glue and screws were rarely used because they had to be hand made.

There also appear to be no tool marks under the table. A period table would have been dimensioned by a hand plane and the marks would be obvious.

My opinion is the table is a 20th century high quality Colonial Revival reproduction, factory made in the United States. Restored auction value would be in the range of $1,000.

Thanks for writing and thanks for the excellent additional photos.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor