Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique Rocker

Rocking Chair
Rocking Chair  

Bottom Seat
Bottom Seat  
I would like to know if you can help me identify this rocking chair. I purchased it form a friend who has had it in the family for generations. The detail on the top, along with the seat detail has me astonished. Everything appears to be normal and seems to be some type of canvas underneath. Any information would be helpful.

Jennifer - The chair is from the late 19th century, circa 1890. It is made of birch. The style is one of the last remnants of the Eastlake style of the period. The "stick and ball" feature in the top of the spindles is a signature mark of Eastlake. The finials are based on "honeydippers", turned wooden spindles that were actually used to dip out honey in the Victorian period, also a signature Eastlake element.

The seat may be embossed leather or it may be embossed pressed fiber (cardboard), a frequent substitute in seating in the period. The crest rail may also be embossed or pressed. The design in the back was not carved. It was made by the impression of a sharp steel die under great pressure that was rolled across the surface of the wood. The design was literally pressed into the wood.

It would probably sell at auction in the $200 range.

Interesting chair. Thanks for sharing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida