Collectibles-General (Antiques)/China cabinet

I have a China cabinet I received from my father as a wedding present.  He bought it from a friend who got it from his mother. There is a label on the back but none of the information is legible.  Would you be able to tell me when and where it was made?

Josh - I can't tell much from the very dark photos but I can identify the carving. It is the head of a winged griffin, popular in American furniture around the turn of the 20th century. Here are some other photos of winged griffin furniture.  

If you can send me some better photos I may be able to tell you more. You can send clear photos to me as .jpg files at Please send the photos directly to me as .jpg files. DO NOT put them in an online photo album. Be sure to include a copy of your original inquiry so I can match them up or I will not respond.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida