Collectibles-General (Antiques)/ID Rocker/Reclining Chair

Rocker Sideview
Rocker Sideview  

Rocker Frontview
Rocker Frontview  
We just picked up this Rocker/Reclining at a Thrift store as we found it to be interesting & unique. I am wondering if you could confirm the manufacture which I believe could be Eastlake. I started stripping/refinish & re-upholstering it.

Hugh - Nice looking platform rocker. Eastlake was a style, not a manufacturer. Charles Locke Eastlake was an English designer who was a leader in the rebellion against Victorian excesses. He advocated a return to value and simple design in furniture. He published his influential book “Hints on Household Taste” in England in 1868 and in the US in the early 1870s. His ideas of straight lines and simple decoration appealed to the machine-driven factory made furniture production of the era and his name is attached to one of America’s most produced styles.

Your chair is from the turn of the 20th century and it is not exactly Eastlake style. It just falls in the category of "turn of the century." Here is what a typical Eastlake platform rocker looks like.

While you have it stripped and under restoration if you plan to use the chair you may want to explore replacing the black iron springs with modern spring units such as this.

Good luck and thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida