Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Identify Chair style

Question
old chair
old chair  

red chair
red chair  
Haven't been able to identify this chair style or where it is made.Have bought several variations and sold them locally. Thought it may be of Pennsylvania origin.

Answer
Gerald - Your chairs are Windsor chairs. A Windsor chair is a chair in which no vertical element runs continuously from top to bottom. All vertical elements terminate in the seat.

The style originated in England in the 18th century and was made throughout the Colonies in the 18th and 19th centuries. Windsors with solid splats instead of spindles are of English design.  The solid splat was used to display the symbol of the local pub. American design Windsors had spindle splats.

Your chairs were factory made during the Depression era of the late 1920s and 1930s. Prominent makers included Phoenix Chair Co of Sheboygan, Wis, Shreve Chair Co of Union City, PA and almost every other maker of chairs in the period.

Chairs like this were featured prominently in the 1984 movie "Places in the Heart" starring Sally Fields which was based on the rural South in the 9130s.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor