Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Another old trunk

Question
outside of trunk
outside of trunk  

inside of trunk
inside of trunk  
Hi again! We just got this trunk from a yard sale. We were curious about any historical information and the value as well.  It's in pretty rough shape. There is mold in the bottom, do you have any recommendations on how to safely remove the mold? We were also going to do some simple restorations to it (fix the broken hinge and clean the wood). Could you give any advice on restoring it? Will it make it worth less? Thank you so much.

Answer
Hello, I just saw this follow-up question you had with another picture.  You won't hurt the value of this type trunk by doing some restoration on it.  In general an old trunk has to be in excellent original condition in most cases before you would hurt the value with some restoration. Even then it is a good idea to do some necessary repairs such as handles or hinges.  This trunk looks like it may have leather covering, which can all be removed and then you can clean, sand, and finish the wood.  It may have some small brass head nails on it which can be cleaned and preserved.  If you are missing any important parts or a lock, you can check with me and send more detailed pictures to Marvin@ThisOldTrunk.com for more help.

Marvin  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller