Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Press Back rocking chair

wide old rocking chair
wide old rocking chair  
I found out what type of chair this is from your answer to another on this website. I appreciate your expertise! Bought recently at a thrift store, and would like to strip the paint and see what we've got. I've never done that before. Any advice as to type of stripper, or how-to ? I would also like to know the value of it, and if there's a chance I could ruin it by using the wrong kind of stripper? Thank you very much.

this will be extremely difficult to strip, someone who is not our friend used an antiqueing kit on the chair.  that paint is killer to get off.

since the seat is laminated if it stays wet too long it will damage it.

is the chair tight
where in forida are you

i strongly recommend you have someone else do the stripping.  but, it cannot be done in what is called a dip tank.  if must be done with a flow over system using the correct stripper.  either benco b7 or be or besway f14 or m36 (or 32) cant remember which but will look it up.

it is a fantastic chair dont be disheartened, we will get the solution

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971