Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Sewing scissors and needle boxes value?

Question
I have a pair of scissors from my great grandmother along with a couple of cylinders that held sewing needles and was wondering if you could tell me approx. age on scissors and if any value to them? The scissors are unique to me. One finger holder to them. Unity U.S.A. is engraved on one side and on the other side is the imprint of "Gold Leah - Southern Supply & MFG., Co., Inc. - St. Petersburg, FLA U.S.A. " The needle cylinders are wood, possibly bamboo. They are labeled Boye Brand, The Boye Needle Co., Chicago. And actually one has a date that reads - Reg. U.S. Pat.Off. Jan. 26 '28 or '29. Thank you.

Answer
Hello Dawn.  

I'm afraid I am not versed on scissors����whole other collectible as far as I'm concerned as not all scissors were for sewing.  There are a few books out on the topic, so you may want to search Amazon, eBay or your local library.

As far as the needle case is concerned, the Boye ones are very common.  The patent dates indicate when the patent was issued for their design but it does not indicate the year your case was made.  They were made in vast quantities over many years.  They are commonly found on ebay.  You can check the completed auctions to see what the most recent selling prices are.  

Hope this helps.  

Barbara  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Barbara K. Acchino

I have been collecting for almost 30 years.

ThimbleCollectors@ONElist.com; Thimble Collectors International (TCI); Thimble Guild; Thimbletter & Thimbletter II, Empire State Thimble Collectors; CyberThimble; Yahoo Thimble Club

"Sewing with Scotties" Scottie Sampler; various articles for the "Bulletin" - official newsletter of Thimble Collectors International (TCI)

TCI's President's Award