Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Small window on Castle Front

Question
Castle Front
Castle Front  
  I have a Castle Front slot machine.   On the front, to the right of the windows where you can see the coins for the jackpot, is a rectangular shape, with an oval inside. (See attached image) On mine it is painted, but looks like it might have been glass at one time.   A lot of other machines do not seem to have it, but the one I own does have it.   I found another on Googles image search, and have attached it, with a green circle outlining what I am talking about.   My questions is What is it for?   Decoration, or did it have a use at one time?   Thanks for your time.
Phil

Answer
That window is where the Gold Award tokens were displayed. The Gold Award was a super jackpot. On the reel bundle where gold award symbols. If you got three on the center line the machine would dispense a gold award token which you could cash in for 100 coins.

Many machines do not have the Gold Award dispensing hardware in them and do not have he gold award symbols on the reel strips. Those machines typically just have the window painted over.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

David Burritt