Collectibles-General (Antiques)/3 drawer dresser w/ round mirror

Question
dresser
dresser  

dovetail
dovetail  
Could you tell me approximately what this is worth? I can't find one like it anywhere on line. I'm pretty sure it's cherry wood and has the original mirror.

Answer
Tina - The dresser is from the Depression era of the 1930s but you can verify that by the date on the mirror. All  20th century American plate mirror included in furniture is dated by law. The date is in dark gray on the gray side of the mirror glass itself. You will have to remove any paper or wood backing to see the back of the glass and the date. This is further explained and illustrated in my book “HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE” found on my website.  In some cases there is no date. This may be because the original mirror has been replaced, the mirror has been resilvered or the mirror was not made in the United States.

The face wood is stump cut walnut veneer. Stump cut or butt cut walnut was the most decorative veneer used in the Depression era of the 1920s and 1930s when your dresser was made. Stump cut veneer is cut from the stump of a walnut tree below ground level where the grain pattern is very confused and erratic. The veneer is "book matched" on the front to make that repeating pattern.

In good condition it would sell at auction in the $100-$200 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor