Collectibles-General (Antiques)/antique buffet

buffet full view
buffet full view  

I inherited an antique buffet from my mother, who inherited it from my grandmother.  It is in good condition with a few scratches in the finish on the top.  It is solid wood (not veneer), two drawers (top has a divider), and a side cabinet with hinged doors on each side.  I would like to know the style, age, and approximate value.

The doors and drawers are flame grain mahogany veneer.  the fluted legs are characteristic of the old sheraton styles.

this was manufactured around 1910-30 and is a classic style of sideboard.

it needs to be waxed---NOT oiled---briwax is a good wax, get the antique mahogany color and spend about 2-4 hours waxing.  at least twice over a couple of weeks.

in store retail would be around 650

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971