Collectibles-General (Antiques)/bed frame identification

I have an old bedframe. Cant find any markings, numbers or names. The side rails are heavy duty,but appear at first glance to be upside down. Front and back ends have metal cones which wedge into "receivers" on the head and foot boards. Each post at the corners of head and footboards are approx. 3/4-7/8" in diameter. At the top, a 5/16" dia. round bar crosses from each side and meet in the middle. At that point is a round ornament with an iron cross on it. Fom there, a 1/4" round bar drops down ,and half way down is anothwr ornament,this time with a flower on the face. At this ornament, 1/4" bars are also criss-crossing from the top and bottom of the posts. On top of  the posts are round brass balls.       Ive had this bed a long time and know nothing about it. Any help or info would be truly appreciated. Thank you

Brad - From your description I deduce that your bed frame is from the very early 20th century. Frames like that were used in institutional settings such as hospitals and college dorms. While originally sturdy for the price they eventually wore loose in the joints and there was no way to "tighten them up."

These frames have no antique or collectible value except as a history marker.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida