Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Never break truck

I bought this trunk many years ago from an elderly fellow.  Plate on side says  Never break golfer  never break trunk co. Newark NJ. No. 1802
One of the hinged drawers has a number of metal clips. I thought they held golf balls but they are to wide for that wondered of you knew what they might be for. In pretty good condition. Although I don't want to sell it I was wondering what approx. it was worth or even about when it was made. Thanks for any help. Lorne

That sounds like an interesting trunk, but I haven't seen that particular model, so without a couple pictures I can't really help with information about what the clips were for.  If there were a patent number on it I could look that up to get a full description. The Neverbreak trunks were made by L. Goldsmith & Son trunk company of Newark, NJ. They were in business from about 1880 to about 1940 and made many types of trunks. They made many styles of wardrobe trunks which had the hinged drawers, hangers, and many other items inside. It is very hard to find detailed information on these old trunks and I've searched for nearly 40 years for all the history I can find. I have found a number of old trunk catalogs, ads, cards, brief histories, etc. including one full Goldsmith trunk catalog from 1900.  But that catalog doesn't have that model trunk.  Most likely the trunk is from the 1920's or 30's. Trunk values are based on many things such as style, condition, rarity, age, completeness, size, and even location to some extent. So, I could only take a guess at the approximate value without detailed pictures. It is possible that it is a rare model, but even that alone doesn't make the trunk much more valuable in all cases. Most of the wardrobe trunks don't bring very high prices for several reasons including their large size and difficulty for people to find a way to use or display them now.  So, most of them sell in the range of around $100 to $300 in good original condition.  There is a special page about wardrobe trunk history on the Showcase page of my website in case you want to look at that also.  

Marvin Miller

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.