Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Cavalier chest

I inherited an antique Cavalier chest from my great aunt when she passed about 15 years ago. Unfortunately after 2 children, the top has some damage and needs to be reattached. All the pieces are still there. We were considering selling it to a local antique shop for them to repair and sell. I was just wondering if you had any idea what I should be willing to let it go for, since it has damage. On the bottom is has Pattern No 717 Serial No 3896. Some chests that I have seen with similar detail have sold for up to $500. Does it depend on those numbers or something else for the worth?  I totally understand that you don't give appraisals. Just wanted some input from someone that can give me advice. I want to be realistic on my amount to sell.   Thank you so much, Heather

Hi Heather
Nice to hear from you.
As with all our old things, condition is the number one factor in the selling price.
Without seeing your chest its hard to say but you tell me you see similar pieces sell for 500.00 which I will guess are in pristine condition.
So, personally I would start at 250.00 for an asking price with the existing damage.
Have you seen this site?
Perhaps it will be helpful to you.
Having said that, I rarely miss a local auction and when these old chests come on the block they rarely fetch more than 200.00 in good condition.
But put the price a bit higher so you have some wiggle room.
Kind Regards

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Eileen Cronk

I can answer most questions about the repairing and refinishing of all your old furniture items (the things we call antiques). I can also give you advice on what wood items to choose and what wood items to avoid at auctions, flea markets etc. I DO NOT give appraisals on antiques as this is not my field of expertise.

I have been repairing, refinishing and of course buying old furniture for the past 30 years. On any given weekend I can be found at auction sales or flea markets searching out a good buy. I have taken several courses in this area over the years, but I find "Hands On" learning to be the best teacher. I can help you avoid the pitfalls and problems of this wonderful rewarding craft.