Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Lex Chair Co table

Question
Lex Chair Co table
Lex Chair Co table  
Hi Robert.  I was given this table from my father with the instruction, "you should keep it... I think it's pretty old and I've always liked it."  Other than that, I don't know anything about it and I haven't had much luck getting any info from the web.  My wife and I were thinking about re-staining it or painting it, but before we did I wanted to make sure we weren't ruining a good, rare, or valuable piece.  Can you help me to determine its age, its original purpose, and approximate value?  Any answer will be fine for us, as we will either keep it as-is or re-purpose it. Thank you very much!

Answer
The company was sold in 1966, this drop side lamp table or end table was made as a colonial revival reproduction somewhere in the 1930-50s.  The early stands like this from 1840-60 depending on wood and condition bring 600-1500.  Yours at this time would sell around 175-200 in a store.

This is a goof piece and I would wax it and put it to use.

to care for it as is use only wax on it.  Paste wax like johnsons floor paste wax or briwax.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein