Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Lex Chair Co table

Lex Chair Co table
Lex Chair Co table  
Hi Robert.  I was given this table from my father with the instruction, "you should keep it... I think it's pretty old and I've always liked it."  Other than that, I don't know anything about it and I haven't had much luck getting any info from the web.  My wife and I were thinking about re-staining it or painting it, but before we did I wanted to make sure we weren't ruining a good, rare, or valuable piece.  Can you help me to determine its age, its original purpose, and approximate value?  Any answer will be fine for us, as we will either keep it as-is or re-purpose it. Thank you very much!

The company was sold in 1966, this drop side lamp table or end table was made as a colonial revival reproduction somewhere in the 1930-50s.  The early stands like this from 1840-60 depending on wood and condition bring 600-1500.  Yours at this time would sell around 175-200 in a store.

This is a goof piece and I would wax it and put it to use.

to care for it as is use only wax on it.  Paste wax like johnsons floor paste wax or briwax.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971