Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Lincoln Rocker

Question
Broken Arm
Broken Arm  

Headrest
Headrest  
Hello there,
I have also sent you an email with pictures attached.  
I have a Lincoln Rocker I would like some advice about.  I think it is about 100 years old and factory-made.  I would like to know several things:
- The headrest seems to be covered in hide glue (?) and I was wondering what might have been glued to it
- Is the arm worth fixing?
- Should it be stripped and refinished or is that a horrible thing to do to the chair?
I can attach more pictures to help you if needed.
Thank you!
Nyssa

Answer
Nyssa – Based on the screw you demonstrate in the additional photos the chair is quite a bit older than 100 years. That is a machine made flat tip screw made between 1830 and 1850. If it is original to the chair it predates the Civil War. I believe what you are seeing on the headrest (crest rail) is actually oxidized shellac, the original finish that has been degraded by contact with oily human hair.  

The chair is absolutely worth restoring and repairing the arm properly. All of the damaged wood and applied putty needs to be cut out, a new piece of wood glued in and shaped and finished to match the rest of the chair. This needs to be done after the chair is stripped but before it is finished.

If you need more information about the process please correspond with me directly at info@furnituredetective.com

Thanks for the additional photos.
Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor