Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Value of furniture

Question
tall dresser
tall dresser  

mirror
mirror  
I have a bedroom set 1 tall dresser shown,  1 bureau with mirror,  1 vanity with mirror and seat.  Says atlas furniture Co.  Jamestown New York,  Comb. American Walnut  No. 460  Is there any value for this set?

Answer
Donald - Your set was made during the Depression era of the late 1920s and 1930s. A virtually identical set is shown on page 241 of "American Manufactured Furniture" by Don Fredgant, Schiffer. The book is a  compilation of manufacturer’s promotional material to retailers for the model year 1929. It can be found on Amazon.com  at http://www.amazon.com/American-Manufactured-Furniture-Don-Fredgant/dp/0764300598

The actual date of manufacture can be found on the mirror. All  20th century American plate mirror included in furniture is dated by law. The date is in dark gray on the gray side of the mirror glass itself. You will have to remove any paper or wood backing to see the back of the glass and the date. This is further explained and illustrated in my book “HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE” found on my website.  In some cases there is no date. This may be because the original mirror has been replaced, the mirror has been resilvered or the mirror was not made in the United States.

The cabinet is made of stump cut walnut veneer and secondary wood solids. Stump cut or butt cut walnut was the most decorative veneer used in the Depression era of the 1920s and 1930s when your bed was made. Stump cut veneer is cut from the stump of a walnut tree below ground level where the grain pattern is very confused and erratic.

Since I haven't seen the entire set I cannot comment of total value but I can tell your the tall chest would sell at auction in the $100 range. If you want to send me photos of the entire set you can send clear photos to me as .jpg files at info@furnituredetective.com. Please send the photos directly to me as .jpg files. DO NOT put them in an online photo album. Be sure to include a copy of your original inquiry so I can match them up or I will not respond.
Thanks.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor