Collectibles-General (Antiques)/weaver's chair

weaver\'s chair
weaver's chair  

weaver\'s chair
weaver's chair  
Hello Fred,

Can you give me information about the construction, approximate year made (by hand or machine), and value of this weaver's chair?  I apologize if it is not American; I am not sure of its origins.  I am considering selling it.

Many thanks, Meg

Meg - I am not familiar with the term "weaver's" chair. If you are referring to the seating that is called a cane seat. I know what a turner's chair is and what a cabinetmaker's chair is. Your chair is a cabinetmaker's ladderback side chair, made in the late 19th century at the end of the Rococo Revival style period. It was factory made, probably in the Midwest, Chicago, Grand Rapids or Sheboygan. The flared back supports are called "hip rests" and were designed to accommodate the large hoop skirts of the period.

Here is a set of four similar chairs that sold for $100 for the set.  

Most chairs like yours, in good condition, sell in the $25-$50 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida