Collectibles-General (Antiques)/weaver's chair

Question
weaver\'s chair
weaver's chair  

weaver\'s chair
weaver's chair  
Hello Fred,

Can you give me information about the construction, approximate year made (by hand or machine), and value of this weaver's chair?  I apologize if it is not American; I am not sure of its origins.  I am considering selling it.

Many thanks, Meg

Answer
Meg - I am not familiar with the term "weaver's" chair. If you are referring to the seating that is called a cane seat. I know what a turner's chair is and what a cabinetmaker's chair is. Your chair is a cabinetmaker's ladderback side chair, made in the late 19th century at the end of the Rococo Revival style period. It was factory made, probably in the Midwest, Chicago, Grand Rapids or Sheboygan. The flared back supports are called "hip rests" and were designed to accommodate the large hoop skirts of the period.

Here is a set of four similar chairs that sold for $100 for the set.
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/21106750_set-of-4-victorian-cane-seat-dining  

Most chairs like yours, in good condition, sell in the $25-$50 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor