Collectibles-General (Antiques)/WISCONSIN CHAIR CO. 1896

Question
IS IT A MONEY MAKER $
IS IT A MONEY MAKER $  

WHAT DO YA THINK
WHAT DO YA THINK  
Hi, I just pick up a very old WISCONSIN GLIDER ROCKER, DATED 1876 ON THE STICKER.   It is in very very good condition considering it is  138  years old.   I was told some of these old gliders are of some good value,  this one has what I am told are  "  LOLLY POP  "  TOPS.   can you help me set an approximitly  value.   I would hate to put it in the paper for sale and be redicqulist on the price.   Any help would be greatly appriciated.   Thanks.  cell, --  MY EMAIL.

Answer
Jerry - Most gliders like that have the date "1888" on the iron mechanism. That is the date of the original patent. The glider hardware was patented in 1888 by George Hall of New York For some reason he assigned the patent to Peter Lowentraut of New Jersey and the gliders became  known as “Lowentraut” rockers. Another very similar mechanism was patented around the same time by McLean. A company named  Biver, Ernster & Co. of Chicago made rockers using the Mclean patent in 1891 and six models of this piece were advertised in Ward’s 1895 catalog. It was only the glider hardware, not the chair design, that was patented, so there are lots of variations on the basic theme with various patent dates for the design.

Unfortunately those chairs are fairly common and value has plummeted in the last few years. Here is a chair very similar to yours that sold at auction in June 2014 for $30.
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/28025601_19thc-victorian-stick-and-ball-plat

I think that was unusual. Usually these chairs sell in the $100 range.

The term "lollipop" is usually reserved for specific type chair patented by George Hunzinger.
Here is a true "lollipop" chair.
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/27041837_a-george-hunzinger-lollipop-rocking

Regardless of market value, in my opinion this type chair is a real ground breaker in furniture design and should be more highly regarded.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor