Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique rocker and tallback chair

Hi, I'm helping an elderly relative sell her furniture to raise money for health care costs. She is 95 and does not recall much about these two pieces other than that they were her mother's. I believe the furniture is American-made, purchased somewhere in the New York/New Jersey area, as the family seemed to be anchored there. I can't actually guarantee that they are antiques, although the wood is so solid/heavy that it seems likely. I will send photos to you by email. I'm sorry if this isn't a lot of information to go on.

Jennifer - The tall chair appears to be a European Revival style chair made of oak and possibly American made but more likely German. It is called a face chair. Faces carved in chair backs was popular around the turn of the 20th century.

The rocker is a Rococo Revival Grecian style chair from the third quarter of the 19th century. Similar chairs are called "Lincoln rockers" because that is the style chair Lincoln was in when he was assassinated. It is made of mahogany and is definitely American made.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida